5 Sept 2007

tie a yellow ribbon

I have recently heard of a spate of more entrepreneurs canvassing for business under the banner of social entrepreneurship. Having seen the abuses of NKF, other non-profit organisations, I nevertheless retain some scepticism about this. Perhaps I am a little bit more traditional, business should always be business, and social work is more like a charity, but when the charity adopts a more commercial view point, it blurs the line more than just a bit.
Is this good? That a social organisation or charity engage in activities to make it self-sustainable and independent of just charitable funds? A social organisation like Yellow Ribbon Project, is one example of social entrepreneurship. Should we support organisations like these? Yes I think we should - for a good cause most would say. My opinion is that - yes we should too (but do take care not to be taken for a ride). Its people that want to profiteer from this wave of social entrepreneurship that give REAL social entrepreneurs a bad name.
Some social entrepreneurs I know - from Project Senso (these are some of those REAl social entrepreneurs)